Skip to main content

Photo Submission

Submitted By

Joan Wiitanen

Tear Lake, Stanton Township, MI, United States

Description

Never saw a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak that looked so much like a female but with the red patch. So it must be from last summer but taking a while to change plumage I guess.

Category

Finches

A Very Young Male Rose-breasted Grosbeak Perhaps?

11 replies on “A Very Young Male Rose-breasted Grosbeak Perhaps?”

Elizabeth says:

We saw a similar bird this morning perched on a shepherd’s hook in our yard this morning. What a surprising sight it was!!

Holly Faulkner, Project Assistant says:

Hi Joan, This is indeed an immature Rose-breasted Grosbeak that hatched this summer. It will likely molt a couple of times before gaining its breeding plumage next spring. Nice capture!

Saw this yesterday at dusk and again this morning at my bird feeder in Gulf Shores, Alabama. A young male, quite beautiful.

Carol LaBreche says:

Are there any other photos of the immature Rd Br GB? There was a black and white mottled baby bird in my front yard this morning…April 26th…w a distinctive red bib. So red that thought injured as first glance. Looked like 4 or 5 inches, extremely heavy structure, full, squatty shape. Beak same.

Holly Faulkner, Project Assistant says:

Hi Carol, You can view other photos of immature or juvenile Rose-breasted Grosbeaks in the Macaulay Library. You can adjust the filters if you like, but currently “immature,” “juvenile,” and ‘male” are selected in the link above. These birds are migrating, and begin breeding in mid-May, so the individual you saw is likely not a fledgling, rather an immature bird from last year that has yet to molt into full breeding plumage for this current season.

Jeff Johnson says:

I saw and photographed a young male rose-breasted grosbeak this afternoon (3 May 2021), feeding on suet.

CR Hestdalen says:

most of the morning outside of Ocala, FL have been watching a immature male and a female rose-breasted grosbeak in my flat feeder on my shepherd’s hook. Took a photo of pair. His rose-breast is bright, but head is still very brown (unlike black on mature male). Second female sat on the bird swing waiting to get into flat feeder.

GCR says:

I saw and photographed a young male rose-breasted grosbeak this Nagaslot168

Amy Young says:

I had four small round Rose-breasted grosbeaks come to my feeder. First time they’ve ever been there. No females around. Lawrence County in Western Pennsylvania. They were gorgeous and pretty brave until a little chipmunk showed up LOL

Stephen says:

Grey , Maine
Feeding sunflower seeds today

Melanie Mixon says:

We just spotted this bird in Pine Mountain Georgia. He sat on our bird feeder eating black sunflower seeds for at least twenty minutes… as I write this he is still sitting on our bird feeder. Amazing!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Explore

Nearby Submissions
Recently Liked