Skip to main content

Photo Submission

Submitted By

Steve Pearl

Aptos, CA, USA

Description

Banded pigeons, up to three, have recently visited my platform feeders. Never seen anywhere else. Extremely skittish especially for a pigeon.

Banded Tailed Pigeon

Banded Tailed Pigeons

4 replies on “Banded Tailed Pigeon”

Velvet A Ahten says:

Had never seen these pigeons like this before – thanks for posting.. A pair have been coming to our bird feeder which is placed on our front lawn with quite a lot of open grass below. Many smaller birds come. But these two are so much larger and marked so distinctly and with their yellow beaks, are so striking. We are humbled they visit us here in the suburbs of Los Angeles called LaCrescenta.

Sharon R. says:

Saw 2 of these birds this morning at our back yard feeder. Beautiful! Have never seen them before. I wasn’t able to get a photo.

Sharon R. says:

Saw 2 of these birds this morning at our back yard feeder in Southern Oregon. Beautiful! Have never seen them before. I wasn’t able to get a photo.

Marchele D. Jansen says:

Didn’t even think to take a picture. They are so common as to be a nuisance. We have a lot of these Pigeons in our area and they can overwhelm our feeders if not shooed away when possible. We hadn’t seen as many for a number of years, but they are definitely back in good numbers. It’s too bad that we are losing so many of our mature oak trees, but we still have many species of oaks on our property and in our area. Lots of consistent bodies of water available in our area too. I always thought they were an invasive species. Maybe I’ll give them more love now that I know they are native to our area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Explore

Nearby Submissions
Recently Liked