Skip to main content

Photo Submission

Submitted By

Katherine A Kelley

Stamford, CT, United States

Description

Last week (and today) when getting ready to do an afternoon feeder count – I found hawks in my feeder area. Last week I believe it was a Cooper’s Hawk. Sat on fence about 15-20 feet from my house and less than 5 feet from feeder area. Stayed in backyard on fence and above-ground pool edge for 5-10 minutes before flying away. Usual bird activity didn’t resume for more than 36-48 hours.

Category

Predatory birds

Species

Cooper Hawk Checking Feeder Area

checking out the feeder area

4 replies on “Cooper Hawk checking Feeder area”

A newel post, such as yours assures this hawk, a star picture podium..
Your timely picture was so well taken.. A beautiful profile,statuesque!…

Many thanks Kelly..

Katherine A Kelley says:

Thanks Andree!
So another hawk visited our feeder area this Sunday am. We were able to photograph it in the tree as it waited. (Yes, its patience paid off for with a little bird on other side of fence) Based on images from Merlin bird ID app, web searches, and some interesting articles re: Cooper’s vs Sharp Shinned – I’m even more confused now on distinguishing the hawks I photographed. Have I seen different age hawks of same species or different genders of same or different, etc? Do you have suggestions on telling the difference? Obviously the more I observe and note field markings I’ll improve ability, right? Your images are wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Katherine, I, am also trying to tell the diff..

but the only way, I can so humbly identify them, is, flat head,, sharp=shinned
and up neck seems higher a space seems to seperate the neck from the upper breast..
, the cooper`s.. and it gets,, even harder,, when an immature appears..
Let the experts,, do the math,,I, am really new at id.. of birds..
Hawkd..

I, so often feel guilty,, about them.. coming to the feeders..
However, a sad story will follow.. early this summer. an invalid , <blue jay, was in my garden and fed for 3 months,, rather helpless.. I, just could not bear, the fact that he would eventually suffer.. before winter..

a solid, and quick Attack,, by one of the hawks, made it one of my most.. devastating
observation,which I avoided and did not intercept..
I, saved,, the feathers.. and one side of the wings,, had developed fully,, but the other wing,, was stumped, and had only developed half-way.. My loving blue jay.. never left my garden ever,, life had made him.. different.. and thus he never starved or froze
in the winter.But, his trust, his constant struggle, and most of all, his constant need for protection.. has made his short life.. probably, worthy.. and it came to an end. without long pain..His picture is on Macaulay Library.. along with his other fledlings..His left wing, never developed.. But, know.. that his short life. was protected..and cared..

Katherine,, What is important,,is sharing our observations, and our appreciation to those
who participate in these educational, and active projects..
Your pics are great,, continue to feed us and the birds..
Cheers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Explore

Nearby Submissions
Recently Liked