Skip to main content

Photo Submission

Submitted By

Bob Vuxinic - bobvuxinic@frontiernet.net

Crossville, TN, United States

Description

This is a first for me – I never had a Phoebe use one of my feeders before. This one began coming to the feeder for dried mealworms, but tried to grab them while hovering over the feeder. Eventually, it learned to land on the feeder to get the goodies. This was the first day the Phoebe employed that technique.

Category

Other

Species

Eastern Phoebe Visits My Tray Feeder

Eastern Phoebe visits my tray feeder

8 replies on “Eastern Phoebe visits my tray feeder”

Wow, very unusual! A Phoebe at the feeder is something I’ve never seen before!

Bob Vuxinic says:

As I said, it surprised me also, but the bird keeps coming back every day.

Louanne Ludwig says:

I have a couple coming to my feeder for the first time ever! I am located in SE Minnesota.I am amazed and delighted. I believe they are eating the cracked corn. I wonder if they will stay all winter.

Hannah says:

I’ve been seeing some Phoebes come to a feeder for the first time as well! They’ve raised their young here two years in a row, so they’ve been around but never came close to a feeder. Every time they come I’m still in amazement! Ours is just a regular old tray feeder filled with dried mealworms as well.

Mark says:

Funny, we for the first time also have a eastern phoebe at our tube feeder and water bath as of today, Mark and Vicky
Norton ohio

Julie says:

We have had an Eastern Phoebe at our feeder and birdbath all week. Been so cool.

Donna says:

In the Atlanta area I regularly have phoebes visit my feeders, particularly for suet and mealworms. Last year a particularly friendly one amazed me. The first time the bird flew directly at me. When I figured out it just wanted food I put some in my hand. What a thrill for the bird to eat from my hand! Now I have at least two phoebes. These don’t eat from my hand but I’ll always cherish the one that did.

david topping says:

We had a phoebe come to our deck – not because of the feeder, but because of the wasps coming to our oriole feeder. It was unique and enjoyable for my wife and I to see the phoebe flying up and down and all around the deck, catching the wasps!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Explore

Nearby Submissions
Recently Liked