Skip to main content

Photo Submission

Submitted By

Diana Ferich

Canton, OH, USA

Description

Is this a Cooper’s hawk ? I walked by my kitchen window yesterday and this hawk was perched on my deck post around 4pm. I had to take this photo thru my window so not real clear and it kept watching me then flew off to the park across the street

It has a long string of white feathers hanging near its front side. Not sure if this is molting or injury?

This morning around 8 am this same hawk was perched in my Japanese Maple near my bird and suet feeders. watching the birds feed. As soon as I lifted my blind on my door to try and get another photo it flew off.

Category

Predatory birds

Help Identify

Is this a Cooper’s Hawk ?

One reply on “Help identify”

Lisa Anderson says:

Hi,
Your photo shows short rounded wings and a very long tail (compared to body) indicative of an accipiter hawk. Three straight alternating bands of dark and light brown with a wide white terminal band suggest a Copper’s Hawk. The streaky brown underparts and mottled brown back suggest a juvenile/immature bird (Source: Rosenfield, R. N., K. K. Madden, J. Bielefeldt, and O. E. Curtis (2020). Cooper’s Hawk (Accipiter cooperii), version 1.0. In Birds of the World (P. G. Rodewald, Editor). Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA. https://doi.org/10.2173/bow.coohaw.01

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Explore

Nearby Submissions
Recently Liked