Skip to main content

Photo Submission

Submitted By

Mark Lowry

Lexington, KY, USA

Description

This shot was gotten in Anderson County KY along the banks of Taylorsville Lake. I have been after a close/clean shot of these birds for years. I have gotten a number of good shots; but nothing like this. This capture was from about 25 feet and gotten from a boat. At least for me, cuckoo’s usually only offer fleeting glimpses from the mid to upper canopy. This is a specie of bird that I have had a strong fondness for since seeing my first one on my grandfather’s old farm as a young child. On this day, this particular bird was feasting on small hairy caterpillars that were on the Silver Maples along this stretch of bank. We were absolutely amazed that this bird remained low and basically oblivious to our presence for about 10 minutes. It was at the very end of that period that this bird popped onto this low hanging branch and allowed me to get several nice shots but I feel this is the best. The pose is near perfect. It was as if this bird basically said to me, ‘you have been trying for years to get me, so here is my best pose – make it count!’ Just as I did when I was younger, I still marvel at how handsome Yellow-billed Cuckoos (or as my grandfather called them, ‘Rain Crows’) really are.

Category

Other

Near Perfect Pose

One reply on “Near Perfect Pose”

Gary Mueller says:

Mark:
Beautiful shot! I too have not been able to get close to a YBC. As you pointed
out they do like to stay high in the upper canopy. Well done and congratulations.
Gary

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Explore

Nearby Submissions
Recently Liked