Skip to main content

Photo Submission

Submitted By

Mark Lowry

Lexington, KY, USA

Description

I got this shot at Taylorsville Lake KY (Anderson County) on one of my fishing trips.
We have had the good fortune of having a successful nesting pair on this lake for several years.
I know they are common in other parts of the country but around here; many of us
get an absolute thrill when we get to see an eagle do what eagles’ do out in the wild.
I saw my very first eagle in 1989 in the Everglades not seeing my first eagle in KY until
some years later. Now, we have a number of nesting pairs statewide and this pair happened to
choose a lake I go to frequently. Consequently, I have been able to get a number of closeups
of the adults and juveniles the last couple years but this is one of my three favorites.
This lake gets crazy boat traffic much of the year and the eagles seem to have adapted and have something of a tolerance to people getting ‘close’ within reason at times. This shot was from a boat from
about 70 feet away; more than close enough for me to capture some of the ‘character’ of this
magnificent bird.

Category

Predatory birds

Species

Thirsty Eagle!

Thirsty Eagle!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Explore

Nearby Submissions
Recently Liked