Download the app
What you will find in the app
You can use the FeederWatch app to keep track of your counts, note your snow depth and effort, and submit your counts directly to our database. No need for a paper tally sheet or to transfer your counts to the website!
The app is connected to the Cornell Lab’s All About Birds online guide. Just press and hold any species while entering your count, and you can see detailed information, including photos, identification tips, natural history, and a range map. You can also access FeederWatch’s common feeder birds interactive tool at the bottom of the app’s home page. Use the tool to see which birds prefer which foods in any region of the U.S. or Canada.
Although the app has everything you need to submit counts for FeederWatch, you still need to go to our website to report behavior interactions, describe your count site, or submit photos. We’ve described how to do these things at the bottom of this page.
Tips for using the app
- You must be connected to the internet to use the app. If you become disconnected, the app will lock until the connection is restored.
- You need to have iOS 9 (Sept 2015) or higher or Android 6 (Marshmallow, 2015) or higher to use the app.
- To report the presence or absence of eye disease in finches, press and hold the finch image in the app or tap the species name to bring up a detailed page where you can indicate if you checked for eye disease.
Continue using the website for behavioral interactions, site descriptions, and photo uploads
Note that there may be a delay of 60 minutes from when something is entered in the app before it will appear on the website and vice versa.
- To report behavior interactions, go to the Your Data section of the FeederWatch website after you complete your count in the app. Click on the View or Edit Your Previous Counts button to see all of the counts you submitted this season. Next click “Actions” and then “View” under the date of the count with behavior interactions you want to report. Then click the “Enter behavior interactions for this count” button underneath your count summary on the page that comes up.
- To fill out or confirm answers from a prior season on your Site Description Form, first complete at least one count in the current season. Then go to the Your Data section of our website and click the link in the pink message at the top of the Your Data home page to describe your site. If there’s no pink banner, then your site description is up-to-date.
- To submit a photo to confirm your report of a rare bird or high count, go to the Your Data section of the FeederWatch website after you complete your count in the app. Click on the View or Edit Your Previous Counts button to see all of the counts you submitted this season. Next click “Actions” and then “Edit” under the date when you were asked to confirm a bird report. Scroll down the list of birds until you reach the bird count you were asked to confirm, and click the link in the confirmation box to upload a photo.