Skip to main content

Photo Submission

Submitted By

Laura Jones

Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Description

The database tells me this species is rare for my area therefore I’ve done my best to get pictures and adequate descriptions of these 2 birds. I would appreciate a confirmation or correction of this species.
Thank you!

Category

Other

Tags

Black-headed Grosbeaks

New bird, showed up on last day of my count. I believe it to be a female Black-headed Grosbeak, looking for confirmation. I started observing a male at my feeders about 2 weeks before this bird appeared. This is one is definitely more shy and flys off easily.

2 replies on “Black-headed Grosbeaks”

Gene N. Neeld, says:

I saw a bird on my feeder support that resembled a nimmature Rose breasted grosbeak. But it had no rose spot. It had a grosbeak beak .

Are blackheaded grosbeaks found in my area ?

I never heard of them until I saw it on your feedr watch.

Holly Faulkner says:

Hi Gene and Laura,
This does indeed look like a grosbeak, but the photo is too blurry for us to tell an exact species. For more information on Black-headed Grosbeaks, please visit our All About Birds page (https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-headed_Grosbeak/id) Here, you can compare similar species, view range maps and other identifying information, and see a number of photographs of the different plumages of this species. Also, it is not uncommon to see some species just outside of the range described in the map. If FeederWatch marks this species as rare, you only need to provide a photo and/or provide a short description, describing why you believe it is this species.
Let us know if you have further questions at feederwatch@cornell.edu.
-Holly Faulkner, Project Assistant

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Explore

Nearby Submissions
Recently Liked