Skip to main content

Photo Submission

Submitted By

Alice Simmons

Glen Rock, PA, USA

Description

This sparrow is a little confusing. Can you identify for me?

Sparrow ID

This sparrow is a little confusing. Can you identify for me?

8 replies on “Sparrow ID”

Gary Mueller says:

Hi Alice:
Your sparrow is a White-throated sparrow.
Gary

Bob Vuxinic says:

I hate to disagree with Gary, but due to the streaked breast with its central spot, I would say that this is a Song Sparrow.

Laura says:

I don’t know. If you have other photos from different angles, it would be helpful. The streaks and spots indicate a Song Sparrow, but the touches of yellowish/buff colors are throwing me off, and I don’t really see the white mustache, although it could be hidden by the way the head is turned.

Holly Faulkner, Project Assistant says:

Hi all! This is a White-throated Sparrow, in immature plumage. Young White-throated Sparrows molt in late summer, and again into adult plumage starting around now – Feb to March. The streaking varies on individuals, and some do have a “central spot” on their breast. Check out Macaulay Library’s photo archive to see the variation among immature birds in this species.

Laura says:

Good to know, Holly! Thank you. I was leaning to a WHite-throated sparrow, but I was thinking it might be a tan-stripe,and that pesky spot was throwing me off.

That spot is certainly a tough field mark to deal with on individuals like this – and this bird does look a little different than your typical WTSP. Thanks for contributing to the conversation!

Bob Vuxinic says:

Thanks from me as well, Holly. But wasn’t this a great discussion–I’m glad that I disagreed with Gary and got this going. Darn that pesky central spot!!

Absolutely!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Explore

Nearby Submissions
Recently Liked